Tips for Your Routine
You need to have a period of relaxing before bed. During this time you
should avoid screens and things that stimulate your body and mind. Try
things such as reading a book, having a cup of calming tea, taking a
warm bath, gentle yoga, or meditation. Explore and find the best
relaxing thing for you to do.
If you are stressed try writing out the problem or making lists. Once you have everything written down it can help you relax because you don’t have to worry about forgetting something. Make sure that this is a step you do before your winding down period so these things aren’t still on your mind.
Choose your bedtime snacks and drinks carefully
Avoid that caffeine later in the day and skipping heavy meals right before bed is better for sleep and better for your overall health.
Stick to a schedule
Monitor your sleep patterns and get an idea of how much sleep you need so that you can choose the best bedtime for your sleeping needs.
With all of these in mind, it’s time to start building your sleep routine. Here is a sample routine!
- Electronics Off
- Light yoga or a warm bath – if you want a hot bath do it at least 1 hour before bed so you can cool down before trying to sleep
- Listen to music
- Write down your worries, goals, or to do’s for tomorrow
- Have a warm cup of chamomile tea or a light snack
- Pray, meditate, or stretches
- Get your room to the comfortable sleeping level, either opening a window, turning on a fan, or a cool shower – being too hot makes for poor sleep.
- Spend time with your family or partner